Sabbath Day (Gen. 2: 1 -3 & Ex.20: 8 – 11) By r. a. Saturday, Aug.15, 2020
In Messiah’s name: “seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; (commandments) and all these things shall be added unto you.” (Matt 6: 33)
Did you know that the catechism of the Roman church divided the 10th commandment into two commandments and expunged and deleted the 2nd commandment of the ten? If you google Exodus chapter 20 verses 4 -6 you will see and understand why they removed that command from the ten.
Be that as it may: if you were to ask any of your friends, pastors, priests or politicians if they know the ten commandments, I’m willing to bet, not one could recite them. They might know a few, but certainly not the ten as revealed and recorded in the bible.
Perhaps one of the main reasons why the collective are unaware of the 10 commandments is because, during the 60’s, they were removed from schools, court rooms and public spaces.
I stated all the above to say this — the 10th commandment is about covetousness.
What does it mean to covet? The term means “an insatiable desire for worldly gain”, greedy, selfishness, envious, etc. It is also regarded as idolatry.
We all have sinned and covetousness is a serious sin. It is not wishing for more or something, but it is the going after it, lusting for it, working to hold onto it. It’s NOT a sin to desire things, rather, it is the “insatiable” and uncontrollable desire to satisfy that appetite, especially immoral and unlawful sexual desires.
It is not the will of the Creator-God or his Son for you to covet.This sin can lead to the breaking of several of the commandments of the Creator. It can lead to adultery, murder, rape, stealing, lying, idolatry, etc.
Here is that 10th commandment in full.
Exodus 20: 17 — “You shalt not covet your neighbour’s house, you shalt not covet your neighbour’s wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is your neighbour’s”.
Here are five causes/results of covetousness as recorded in the bible.
(1) Theft –It was forbidden for the Israelites to take and keep anything that the people of Jericho worshipped or owned. However, Achan of the tribe of Judah disobeyed and was stoned to death (See Josh 7: 21)
(2) Strong sexual desire –Mortify therefore your members which are upon the earth; fornication, uncleanness, inordinate affection, evil concupiscence (sexual desire), and covetousness, which is idolatry:
For which things’ sake the wrath of God comes on the children of disobedience: (Colossians 3: 5 – 6)
(3) The Love of money — 10 For the love of money is the root of all evil: which while some coveted after, they have erred from the faith, and pierced themselves through with many sorrows. (1 Tim 6: 10)
(4) Not Content –Let your conversation (habits, actions) be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. (Heb. 13: 5)
(5) One’s Treasure –For where your treasure (what you cherish and value) is, there will your heart (mind and actions) be also (Matt 6: 21)
In conclusion – the question arises: where and in what does your treasure and system of values lie? It’s been stated by many: “the more you get, the more you want”. That lifestyle is mind-numbing and covetousness.
Messiah warns in Matt 6: 19 -20 “Lay not up for yourselves treasures upon earth, where moth and rust doth corrupt, and where thieves break through and steal:”
“But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal”.
Be wise, do not covet and live forever.
All glory, praise and honor to the Creator-God, the great I AM, in Messiah’s (Yahshua’s) name.
Peace, blessings and protection to all who seek and love the truth – God’s word (Jn.10: 10 & Ps.119: 142)