Sabbath Day (Ex.20: 8 – 11) By r. a. Saturday, Dec.28, 2019
In Messiah’s name. “Sin is the transgression of the law” (1Jn.3: 4) “For the wages (payment/earnings) of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord”.(Rom.6: 23)
Death entered the world through the sin of Adam and Eve, via the fork-tongue of the Serpent who deceives the WHOLE world. (Gen.3 & Rev.12: 9)
If you knew the date of your death, would your priorities be different? Would you “live it up”, eat, drink and be merry? Or, would you turn to a pastor, priest or religious organization or call out to the Creator-God for mercy to prolong your days? Perhaps you erroneously believe when you die you’ll be reincarnated and come back in a new body. That ain’t gonna happen – it’s not the “truth” as revealed in the bible.
None of us are promised our next breath. Life is short. When we are young, we think we are immortal — as some so-called authorities teach — and the prospect of death seldom, or never enters our minds. Men, women and children of all ages are killed, murdered and/or die on a daily basis as a result of some cause or other. Probably the greatest killer is war.
If you’re in your mid forties and/or older and you look back on your life, the passing of twenty or more years seems like yesterday.
Years ago I recall watching a TV/movie adaptation of a stage play titled “Fiddler On The Roof”. It was a Jewish musical and one of the song titles of that play was “Sunrise, Sunset”.
At the that time, I didn’t pay too much attention to the lyrics of that song until I came across them just a few years ago. Here’s two lyrics from that song, which call to our attention how quickly the years pass by. They stuck with me over the years.
“Is this the little girl I carried? Is this the little boy at play?”
“I don’t remember growing older. when did they?“
Again, life is short — our days/years fly by. Continues below pic.
Here’s several ways the brevity (shortness) of human life is characterized in the bible.
(1) Our lives pass away as a thought or meditation: “we spend our years as a tale that is told” (Ps.90: 9) That is, life passes as the rapidity of thought!
(2) Human life is like grass/flower: “As for man, his days are as grass: as a flower of the field, so he flourishes. For the wind passes over it (it withers away), and it is gone; and the place thereof shall know it no more. (Ps.103: 15 -16)
(3) Life is liken to a shadow: “Life is short and it fades away like a shadow” (Eccl 6: 12)
(4) Life is like a vapour: “You know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appears for a little time, and then vanishes away”. (James 4: 14)
(5) Life is soon cut off: “The days of our years are threescore years and ten; and if by reason of strength they be fourscore years, yet is their strength, labour and sorrow; for it is soon cut off, and we fly away.” (Ps.90: 10)
Explanation:#5 Even If we live beyond 80 yrs, the infirmities, the physical/mental weaknesses of old age bring us sorrow. Labour becomes burdensome. The things that once brought happiness and enjoyment are no longer desirable and we “fly away” — depart from this world.
Here’s ways to prolong one’s life
(1) “Love the Lord your God, obey Him, and remain faithful to Him. For He is your life, and He will prolong your life in the land the Lord swore to give to your fathers Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.” (Deut.30: 20)
(2) “The fear of the LORD shall prolong days, but the years of the wicked shall be shortened.” (Prov.10: 27)
(3) By prayer: “Then came the word of the Lord to Isaiah, saying, Go, and say to Hezekiah (a righteous king), Thus says the Lord, the God of David your father, I have heard your prayer, I have seen your tears: behold, I will add unto your days fifteen years. (Isa.38: 4 – 5)
While you still have the breath of life, choose today who you will serve — the god of this world, the Serpent, or the Creator-God,the great I AM, through his son, Messiah (Yahshua, jesus).
Human life is short. Don’t be a fool, choose eternal life instead of eternal death.
All glory, praise and honor to the Creator-God, the great I AM, in Messiah’s name.
Peace, blessings and protection to all who seek and love the truth – God’s Word (Jn.17: 17 & Ps.119: 142