I have abridged the following. (my note)
South China Morning Post Posted Wed., Sept.24, 2014
Police have shot dead a “known terror suspect” who stabbed two officers, a day after the Islamic State group called for Muslims to indiscriminately kill Australians, officials said on Wednesday.
The 18-year-old, reportedly associated with the Islamic group Al-Furqan, was killed on Tuesday evening, having arrived at a police station on the outskirts of Melbourne to attend a “routine” interview.
He was met by two members of the Joint Counter Terrorism Team and greeted them with a handshake before pulling out a knife and repeatedly stabbing both men. One officer fired a single shot that killed him, police said.
“I can advise that the person in question was a known terror suspect who was a person of interest to law enforcement and intelligence agencies,” Justice Minister Michael Keenan said on Wednesday, adding that the attack was unprovoked.
“The incident occurred during a police investigation and it appears that the shooting by the police officer was in self-defence.”
Both police officers were in a stable condition after undergoing surgery.
The attack followed IS militants on Monday releasing a statement urging the indiscriminate killing of citizens of all countries taking part in the US-led coalition against the jihadists. Australia was singled out, along with the United States, Canada and France.
Only last week, Australia carried out large-scale anti-terrorism raids in Sydney and Brisbane to disrupt an alleged plot by IS supporters to abduct and behead a member of the public.
The government believes up to 60 Australians are fighting alongside IS jihadists, while 20 have returned home and at least another 100 are actively working to support the movement at home.